Chakras are energy centers in the body that carries a certain vibration, which determines what color it vibrates at. When learning where the chakra is located, it is also helpful to know what color each of them is, and what that color represents.
So, what are the colors of the chakras? The 7 common chakras located in the body are:
- Red: Root/1st Chakra
- Orange: Sacral/2nd Chakra
- Yellow: Solar Plexus/3rd Chakra
- Green or Pink: Heart/4th Chakra
- Blue: Throat/5th Chakra
- Indigo: Third Eye/6th Chakra
- Purple or White: Crown/7th Chakra
Each of these colors carries a different vibration, and therefore is responsible for certain functions within your energy center as a whole. Knowing what each of these colors is can help you identify which chakra you need to work with, and what is required to help balance it out.
How Many Chakras Are There?
There are 7 main chakras in the energetic system of the body, which can be found nestled somewhere in the physical body. These are the commonly referenced chakras, which run along your spinal column up to the top of your head.
Outside of those 7 main chakras, there are mini chakras that can be found in your feet, hands, limbs, and other meridian points in your body. A reiki practitioner and acupuncturist once told me that she works with 33 chakras in the body.
Other energy workers may tell you that there are 12 main chakras in the body. These include the main 7 chakras along with 5 other chakras located outside of the physical body, which is still within an individual’s energetic field. This includes 1 at the base of the feet and 4 above the head. [Source]
For the purpose of this article, I am only going to discuss the colors of the 7 main chakras, as those are the most common chakras that are worked with.
What Chakra Is Red?
The Root Chakra is associated with the color red. This is also called the 1st Chakra, as it is the first in the sequence of the 7 chakras as it is located at the base of your spine.
Because this chakra is closest to the ground, it is mostly related to issues that exist in the material or physical world. This includes:
- Survival energy
- Financial stress
- Physical injury or illness
- A sense of belonging in the world
- Matters of the home or domestic issues
- Grounding to the Earth’s energy
- Our first memories
In the body, the energy of the root chakra can physically affect the lower back, sit bones, legs, and feet. If you are having pain or issues in these areas in your body, it could be a sign that this energy center is out of balance.
The vibration of red is one of the most powerful vibrations that exist in our bodies. This is because the vibration IS power. How strong the vibration of red is in this root area determines our own inner power, and how much life-force we have. Red is also the color of our blood, so it carries the vibration of vitality.
The color red is the first color to appear on the visible light spectrum and is the longest visible color ray. It is the reason why red is the first color to appear in a rainbow.
Because it is the first color to appear in the spectrum, it is all about creation, foundation and the structure of life.
Red is also associated with the emotions that come with the power of creation, such as passion, enthusiasm, creativity, courage, and willpower.
With such powerful emotions, when they are out of balance it can result in negative emotional outbursts. If the power of this red vibration is over-stimulated, it can result in a need for control, manipulation, addiction, impulsive behavior or anger.
When this red vibration is understimulated, it can look like anxiety, fear, paranoia, poverty mentality, hoarding, passivity, depression, or being apathetic.
Crystals that are recommended for balancing the color of red in your root chakra are:
- Red Agate
- Black Tourmaline
- Red Carnelian
Activities that can help balance the red in your root chakra include anything that stimulates the life-force energy of your physical body, including:
- Exercise (particularly yoga, qi gong, and pilates)
- Diet consisting of high vibrational foods, particularly foods with red (beets, strawberries, raspberries, etc.)
- Grounding meditation
- Walking in nature
- Using wood-based essential oils such as cedarwood, Peru balsam, sandalwood, birch, and cypress
What Chakra is Orange?
The Sacral Chakra is associated with the color orange. This is also called the 2nd Chakra, as it is the second in the sequence of the 7 chakras which sits right below the navel near your pelvic region. As such, it is mostly connected to issues that pertain to this area. This includes:
- Relationship to ourself and others
- Sexuality and sexual desires
- Pain and pleasure
- Emotional Fluidity
In the body, the energy of the sacral chakra can physically affect the pubic bone area, the sexual and reproductive organs, and the small and large intestines. If you are having pain or issues in these areas in your body, it could be a sign that this energy center is out of balance.
The vibration of orange sits right in between red and yellow, so it pulls on the passion and power of red and also the independent and wise spirit of yellow. The vibration of orange sorts out the energetic connections that it comes in contact with, determining what the relationship is and the deeper connection one has with the current environment and the world at large.
Orange resonates well with harmony, balance, beauty, creativity, joy, independence and codependency. It loves the energy of romantic relationships, family relationships, friendships, and community connections. It also loves a healthy relationship with oneself.
Orange is also associated with the emotions that come with the insecurities of relationships, such as jealousy, commitment, social anxiety, fear of being accepted, introversion, depression, lack of control, etc.
The color orange is the vibration of empathy, and this is the energy center that is most affected by empaths. Empaths can store other people’s energy in this center, to the detriment of giving too much of their own energy to other people. This results in a lower vibration in this area, leading to digestive issues, reproductive issues, anxiety and depression, and overall low physical vitality.
You can read more about empaths in an article I wrote here: What Is An Empath? How Do I Know If I Am One?
This is also where your intuition manifests in the physical body. It is why a lot of people use the phrase “gut feeling.” This is your physical “third eye” center, where we “feel” things that are about to happen. The 6th chakra and the 2nd chakra are very connected – the 6th chakra is the third eye of your upper energy centers, and the 2nd chakra being the third eye of your lower chakras.
Crystals that are recommended for balancing the color of orange in your sacral chakra are:
- Orange Topaz
- Orange Calcite
- Tiger’s Eye
- Tangerine Quartz
- Aragonite Star Cluster
Activities that can help balance the orange in your sacral chakra include activities that help get your stagnant emotions flowing again:
- Anything that stimulates a cathartic release: jumping, dancing, screaming into a pillow, fake laughing, crying, or other physical forms of catharsis.
- Diet consisting of high vibrational foods, particularly foods with orange (carrots, squash, pumpkin, orange citrus, grapefruit, papaya, cantaloupe, etc.)
- Drink ginger tea
- Doing art or an activity that helps explore self-expression
- Swimming (water is the core element of this energy center)
- Using citrus and floral essential oils such as orange peel, ylang-ylang, neroli, bergamot, grapefruit, geranium, and rose
What Chakra is Yellow?
The Solar Plexus Chakra is associated with the color yellow. This is also called the 3rd Chakra, as it is the third in the sequence of the 7 chakras which sits under the sternum, right above your stomach. The solar plexus chakra is responsible for the following areas:
- Personal power
- Self-worth and self-respect
- Mental Clarity
- Direction in life
In the body, the energy of the solar plexus chakra can physically affect the stomach, digestion, small intestines, liver, and gall bladder. If you are having pain or issues in these areas in your body, it could be a sign that this energy center is out of balance.
The vibration of yellow sits at the top of your lower chakras before it enters your spiritual centers. It is the final gateway before it enters the bridge between your upper and lower chakras, which is your heart chakra. If this chakra is off balance, your heart chakra may not be connecting your lower and upper chakras completely. This leads you to feel disassociated with your body.
Yellow resonates at the vibration of life-force energy, responsible for creating a new reality that aligns with one’s higher purpose. It is a color of confidence, willpower, manifestation, and abundance.
Yellow is also associated with the emotions that come with the imbalances of this energy, such as insecurity, lack of willpower, lack of confidence, lack of direction and shame or too much ego, narcissism, power trips, and being over-domineering.
Crystals that are recommended for balancing the color of yellow in your solar plexus chakra are:
- Yellow Topaz
- Yellow Calcite
- Pyrite (especially with sulfur)
- Yellow Apatite
Activities that can help balance the yellow in your solar plexus chakra include activities that energize your personal power and increase your confidence:
- Get plenty of sunshine
- Cut ties with negative people
- Journal in the first person to resolidify your own identity
- Map out your goals for the week, month or year
- Eat spicy, energizing and detoxing foods such as ginger, turmeric, lemon, apple cider vinegar, cinnamon, cardamom.
- Eat foods to help your digestion, such as high fiber foods, plenty of green vegetables, fermented foods, pineapple and papaya (with loads of enzymes), and digestive enzymes.
- Using energetic essential oils such as ginger, cinnamon, rosemary, eucalyptus, grapefruit, black pepper, etc.
What Chakra is Green?
The Heart Chakra is associated with the color green. This is also called the 4th Chakra, as it is the fourth in the sequence of the 7 chakras as it is located in the middle of your chest, by your heart.
Because this chakra is near your heart, it is mostly related to issues of the heart. This includes:
- Feeling that all things are one
- Respect for self and others
In the body, the energy of the heart chakra can physically affect the heart, chest, lungs, shoulders, arms, hands and immune system. If you are having pain or issues in these areas in your body, it could be a sign that this energy center is out of balance.
The vibration of green is very powerful but is often in conflict. This is because the vibration is a blend of yellow and blue: yellow is our own will, and blue being Divine will. A strong vibration of green in the heart area represents that our own will is aligned with Divine will.
Divine will is always based in love, so when we practice being more loving to ourselves, and the world around us, that is the best way to bring this vibration up.
The heart is connected to every micro energy system in our entire being. It also connects us to the world around us. This is why love and the heart are so intertwined. Everyone says they love with their heart; well, they love with their heart center.
Geen, while loving and compassionate, is also associated with the emotions that come with the negative or dark sides of love. This includes jealousy, hatred, anger, loneliness, judgment, self-abandonment, impulsive behavior, withdrawn, unforgiving, etc.
Crystals that are recommended for balancing the color of green in your heart chakra are:
- Rose Quartz
Activities that can help balance the green in your heart chakra include:
- Exercise that gets the heart pumping, such as cardio, dancing, etc.
- Diet consisting of high vibrational foods, particularly green foods and foods that build the blood
- Practice loving-kindness meditation
- Walking in nature, particularly where three are green trees and plants
- Sending letters, emails or text messages to friends showing appreciation
- Using floral essential oils such as rose, lavender, geranium, ylang-ylang, vanilla, and jasmine
What Chakra is Blue?
The Throat Chakra is associated with the color blue. This is also called the 5th Chakra, as it is the fifth in the sequence of the 7 chakras, which is located on your throat.
Because this chakra is located by your vocal cords, it is mostly related to issues that exist in the realm of speaking and communication. This includes:
- Speaking and discovering your truth
- Speaking up for yourself
- Communicating with yourself and others
- Detecting truths and lies
- Creativity through your voice (singing, poetry, writing, etc.)
In the body, the energy of the throat chakra can physically affect the neck, throat, tonsils, ears, mouth, tongue, and thyroid. If you are having pain or issues in these areas in your body, it could be a sign that this energy center is out of balance.
The vibration of blue is powerful, but it is power from an external source. Blue is often connected to Divine will, and thus what we speak has a lot of power to create what we see in our daily lives.
The color blue has shorter waves on the visible light spectrum, and as such, a higher frequency. This chakra has more spiritual energy than any of the before 4 chakras.
The throat chakra is a tangibly spiritual energy center, as it is where we can voice our visions and imaginations to others, and share that reality with them. Because of this, blue is associated with the emotions that come with the opportunities of abundance that can be created, such as joy, enthusiasm, connection, inspiration, passion, and love.
When we experience a “flow state,” which is when we do an activity where we lose a sense of time, the throat chakra is stimulated.
With such powerful feelings, when they are out of balance it can result in negative emotional reactions. This can look like lying, yelling, aggression, cursing, gossiping, talking too much, over-exaggerating, or being socially paranoid.
The throat chakra often has a lot of other people’s energy in it, making it a very pale blue or purple color. This is because other people like to control what we say. Clearing out your throat chakra is something that should be done from time to time. You can clear this throat chakra by using crystals or sound therapy.
Crystals that are recommended for balancing the color of red in your root chakra are:
- Lapis Lazuli
- Blue Kyanite
- Blue or Rainbow Fluorite
Activities that can help clear out other people’s energy from this area and keep it balanced include:
- Singing (in a choir, or in the shower), humming or whistling
- Diet consisting of high vibrational foods, particularly foods with blue (berries, grapes, plums) and liquids (coconut water, herbal teas, lemon, filtered water, etc.)
- Creative self-expression through art or poetry
- Listening to high vibrational music (classical instruments)
- Sound therapy including tuning forks, singing bowls or going to see a sound healer
- Meditations focusing on breathing techniques
- Using essential oils that give you a sense of calm, while still giving strength to create. These include rosemary, peppermint, eucalyptus, basil, juniper, sandalwood, and frankincense. My favorite blend is rosemary, peppermint, and eucalyptus in a diffuser
What Chakra is Indigo?
The Third Eye Chakra is associated with the color Indigo. This is also called the 6th Chakra, as it is the sixth in the sequence of the 7 chakras which sits on your forehead between your eyebrows. This center has more to do with your spiritual and etheric body, rather than your physical body. It is responsible for:
- Psychic abilities (Clairvoyance, Knowingness, Mediumship)
- Intuitive insight
- Etheric sight
- Allows spiritual messages to flow into the physical world
- Defines your identity based on how you see the world and how the world sees you
- Telepathy (knowing what others are thinking)
- Higher creativity
- Having a sixth sense
In the body, the energy of the Third Eye Chakra can physically affect the pineal gland, sinuses, and head. If you are having pain or issues in these areas in your body, it could be a sign that this energy center is out of balance.
The vibration of indigo is a blend of violet and blue within the light spectrum, so it pulls on the spirit-self vibration in violet and the Divine will of blue. This complex combination of vibrations brings higher spiritual wisdom to the decision that we make. Thus, it is one of the centers where we access our intuition and our psychic knowledge about the world around us. We read energy through this energetic center.
Indigo resonates well with wisdom, creativity, connection, being in the present moment, trust, decisiveness, and angelic connections. It loves the surprises of synchronicities, the energy of numbers, and signs all around us that remind us we are on the right path.
Indigo is also associated with the emotions that come with the dangers of seeing energy, such as manipulation, control, ego, arrogance, judgment, fear, paranoia, mental illness, delusions, headaches or nightmares. These could be a sign that your Third Eye is over or under-stimulated.
You can read more about understanding the signs that your third eye is over or under-stimulated in an article I wrote here: Is Your Third Eye Pulsing or Twitching? What’s Going On?
Crystals that are recommended for balancing the color of indigo in your Third Eye Chakra are:
- Spirit Quartz
- Lapis Lazuli
- Iceland Spar
- Blue Sapphire
Activities that can help balance the indigo in your Third Eye Chakra include activities that make you feel comfortable in your physical body and spiritual body. These include:
- Exercises that help strengthen spiritual energy flowing into the physical body such as qi gong or yoga
- Eating foods that help strengthen the pineal gland
- Lemon and apple cider vinegar
- Fruits with high hydration such as cucumber, romaine lettuce, and watermelon
- Coconut oil, avocado, and grass-fed butter
- Omega 3 fatty acids such as fish oil or hemp, chia or flax seeds
- Iodine rich foods such as seaweed
- Medicinal mushrooms such as chaga, reishi, cordyceps and turkey tail
- Supplements that contain a high content of greens such as chlorella and spirulina
- Heavy metal detoxers such as cilantro and zeolites.
- Meditation using visualizations
- Fasting, such as intermittent fasting
- Craniosacral Therapy
- Using high vibrational essential oils such as clary sage, patchouli, rosemary, frankincense, myrrh, sandalwood,
What Chakra is Purple?
The Crown Chakra is associated with the color purple. This is also called the 7th Chakra, as it is the seventh in the sequence of the 7 chakras which sits right above the crown of your head. Because this energy center sits above your head and is not actually within your physical body, the effects of this vibration show up in your spiritual and etheric selves. This includes:
- Your spiritual connection to higher energy
- Universal laws, such as karma, the law of attraction, etc.
- The divine source
- Knowing heaven is within and all around us
In your life, the energy of the Crown Chakra can affect your state of mind, which includes clarity, focus, positivity, ability to learn and memorize, clear knowing, and sensing that everything is interconnected. If you are having issues with these states of mind, it could be a sign that this energy center is out of balance.
The vibration of purple, especially violet, is known as a “master” vibration, particularly the mastery of teaching and healing. It is the shortest on the visible light spectrum, meaning it has the highest frequency. It is the last vibration on the physical light spectrum, so any other chakras that exist above this are purely spiritual from this point on. They cannot be seen in the physical form.
Purple resonates well with true balance, a sense of “oneness,” heavenly consciousness, kinship, the law of karma, and peace with the present moment.
Purple is also associated with the emotions that come with the imbalances of this vibration, such as lack of connectedness, loneliness, depression, being too airy, being too ungrounded, flighty, non-commital, wanting to escape your physical reality into an imaginary world, high ideals, daydreaming. These could be a sign that your crown chakra is over or under-stimulated.
Crystals that are recommended for balancing the color of purple in your Crown Chakra are:
- Clear Quartz
- Purple Flourite
- Purple Apatite
- Desert Rose
- Pink Danburite
Activities that can help balance the purple in your Crown Chakra include activities that help get you back into your body, or to awaken to the heavenly connection within your life:
- Eat a diet consisting of high vibrational, yet grounding foods, such as dried fruits, herbs, medicinal mushrooms, whole heirloom grains such as quinoa, millet, farro, kamut, and freekeh.
- Stay hydrated
- Energy healing techniques such as qi gong, craniosacral therapy, acupuncture, reiki, sound therapy, etc.
- Walking in nature to increase your sense of interconnectedness to all things around you
- Use sound therapy by chanting the “OM” sound in meditation, or using an “OM” frequency tuning fork (136.1 Hz). This is the sound of the universe
- Using high vibrational, yet grounding essential oils, such as cedarwood, frankincense, myrrh, sandalwood, juniper, and vetiver.
What Chakra Is White?
White is not usually included in the 7 chakras, but it is a color that I see commonly in the Crown Chakra, instead of purple or violet. If the color white is present in someone’s chakra, they also usually have a lot of white at the top of their auric field, near their head.
When I see the Crown Chakra as white, it can often mean that that person is psychically gifted as a medium, meaning that they can see and communicate with spirits or beings that have passed on. It can also mean that there are spirits in very close contact with that person. I often find that when the crown chakra is white, that person had recently had a loved one or pet pass away.
It could also mean that they have a strong faith and are very devoted to their practice. It can also mean that the person is surrounded by a strong angelic presence.
White means that there is a lot of light, which can be a sign of an over-stimulated chakra, especially if the other chakras aren’t balanced. If I see a white crown chakra and a pale-pink root chakra, that often means that that person is not grounded in reality.
What Chakra Is Pink?
Pink is another chakra that is not included in the 7 chakras, but a color that commonly appears in the Heart Chakra. It is so common, that I usually see this chakra pink as often as I see it green.
Pink in the heart chakra usually means that the person is empathic, and has a lot of empathy towards others. A lot of energy healers have a pink chakra. People who have also just entered into a new relationship also can have a pink chakra in their heart center.
While a pink chakra is not overtly bad, it can be a sign of a slight imbalance, only because of the color Blue is absent which makes the usual Green vibration in this center. Blue is all about divine will and bridging the physical and spiritual selves to manifest your highest reality. Without the blue vibration, there can be a lot of energy spent on manifesting other people’s realities – not one’s own.
People with a pink vibration in their heart center are very compassionate but have a tendency to give their power away to others. They can spend their entire lives building up others but at the detriment of their own success.
While some people feel comfortable in this role, this is solely up to the individual and what brings them fulfillment in life.
Understanding and working with the colors and vibrations in your body is a fun and powerful way to bring balance and harmony to your life. This is something that needs consistent revisiting because we are bombarded with low vibrations that can bring us down: news, social media, angry drivers, stress at work, poor diet, violent television, and the list goes on.
Finding pockets throughout your day to pay attention to the vibrant colors all around you is a great way to boost the vibrant colors in your own vibrational field.
“And when it rains on your parade, look up rather than down. Without the rain, there would be no rainbow.”G. K. Chesterton